I stumbled across this interesting image evolution project on AlteredQualia yesterday. This project takes Roger Alsing's example of image evolution using polygon rendering and re-implements it in JavaScript. I decided to run my own test against my avatar images. Both results use 50 polygons with 6 vertices.

Originally, I started this test in Firefox 3.0.5, but quickly realized I would have much better results with the nightly build of WebKit. The trick is in WebKit's JavaScript engine, SquirrelFish. I probably would have had the same results with a beta version of Firefox 3.1 and it's TraceMonkey JavaScript engine.